Thursday, July 05, 2007

Into Each Life a Little Rain Must Fall

The nice thing about putting on your rain gear before you leave in the morning is that you get to do it in a hotel room instead of alongside the road. We left today in a steady mist with the promise of gradual clearing. The mist dried up and what we got was steady nothing, yet damp roads and black skies kept us from going without protection. Eventually outside of Cambridge, OH the skies opened up and let us have it. No crazy winds or lightning like yesterday, so we tucked behind the windshields and toughed it out. When we took a break for a late lunch in West Virginia, the rain had stopped. By the time we came back out, the sun was peeking out and drying the roads.

We really didn't have much in the way of sightseeing today, and got around 300 miles in before the skies turned black again heading east out of Pittsburgh. We called it quits here in Johnstown, and tomorrow morning we will check out the flood memorial and museum before heading up to Altoona. Tonight is our last night on the road. We have about 225 miles to go tomorrow, and our own beds will be waiting for us. I miss my ladies and my goofy cat, and as much as I like my road trips, I'm *really* looking forward to getting back to them.

I tried to get Dad to the neighborhood bar and grill next door to make some sort of observance, but he's old so he just took a shower and logged on to the internet. We hadn't eaten since lunch, and the lobby computer was occupied while he was on his laptop, so I took it upon myself to mosey over to the Alibi and enjoy a sammich and a beverage or two on my own. What a great name for a bar. If I ever open one, I am going to name it the Furry Taco or the Alibi.

No comments: