Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What's this "Speedy" crap all about?

When I first got hooked up with this interweb thing, I had to come up with an e-mail address for the account to which my blazing fast 33.6k modem would connect. Not wanting to delay the process, I put a solid 9 seconds worth of thought into it, and thus was born TF499 at aol dot com. Naturally, it didn't take me long to tire of hearing "WTF is TF?" So, having had some time to think about it, I replaced TF (which is the designation for Top Fuel dragsters, by the way) with Nitro when creating a Yahoo! account. That account still exists, along with a shoddy homepage that explains the 499 and 689.

Fortunately, it didn't take me long to tire of AOL, either, so that was soon nixed in favor of fast.net. The nitro thing, while an improvement, just wasn't quite doing it either. So, I evolved into speedemn at fast dot net, which I just thought was the coolest thing ever. I also created a speeddemon account with Yahoo! because they hadn't come up with their spam filter yet and my box was just getting killed. Fast.net is now history as well, but from then on, my online identity has been some form or other of speeddemon, and I think that pretty well sums it up.

When they ask you in kindergarten what you want to be when you grow up, all the boys say "astronaut," "police officer," or "race car driver." For most boys, that changes over the years, but for me, unfortunately, I'm still a firesuit monkey trapped in slacks and a cotton dress shirt. Six numbers plus the powerball would fix that, but until then my weekend wear is a black t-shirt with some Harley dealer's logo on it. And ya know, that ain't so bad...

No comments: