Saturday, June 03, 2006

Laurel, Mississippi

It turns out I'm exactly where I planned to be, although if you'd have asked me 14 hours ago I'd have bet against it. I didn't have any room reservations, because if the weather didn't cooperate I knew I might not make either one. As the week went on, the forecast was proving that was a smart call.

As it would play out, scoring these hotel rooms with no problems would be the two things that did go right, and allowed me to be a happy camper right now. The story is long enough that you'll have to get it in person (I have a lot of those) but the weather did suck, and weather wouldn't be the first thing to go wrong. Plan A was to get as far as I can as fast as I can, because the ride home would be rushed by every extra hour spent getting here. So I decided to shoot for 1,000 miles in 24 hours, and document it.

It worked, I'm fed, showered, and having a beer in the air conditioning. Today was a LONG day --I washed Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi off me tonight. I'll sleep well and have a good post for tomorrow. I won't be on the interstate, and I should be in Gulfport way before lunch with plenty of time on my hands. You should start seeing pictures with the next post.

No comments: